Updates and Ramblings by yours truly

Sunday, January 15, 2006

My 'hood: Part I*

This was the first weekend in a long time that I was around, so I spent it getting to know the area better (I'm on the lookout for my favorite secret spot in Mexico City and for new running routes). Paula and I spent the afternoon exploring the nearby Bosque de Chapultepec (the central park equivalent of the Distrito Federal).

We bypassed the Museo de Anthropolgia for another less crowded day (Sundays are free for Mexicans so everyone and their moms and dads and extended family visit)

First stop was to see the Voladores de Papantla in a spectacular sacred ritual passed down from indigenous Mexican groups, now exploited for modern entertainment. Four men (symbolizing the cardinal directions) hang from a tall tree (pole in this case) and spin 13 times (52 times in all) to the ground.


Voladores from afar and
one up close



We walked a bit past the paddle boating, food stalls, street performers, lovers, families, and Winnie the Poohs (photos for a fee), and hopped on a train to another part of the park. The train took us past some ancient trees and monuments and left us at the base of Chapultepec Hill. Paula and I climbed a bit to the Chapultepec Palace, but left the inside for another day. We climbed back down and wandered back home for a late lunch and movie.


*I named this post Part I, because I anticipate many more such explorations. Stay tuned for future local adventures.


The Palace from the base of the hill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home